- Learn About
- Our Local Area
- Photo Gallery
- Your Say
18 January, 2013 to 30 December, 2013:
Guided Walks - Monday - Saturday
04 February, 2013 to 04 December, 2013:
Free minibus tours - at Brisbane Botanic Gardens, Mt Coot-tha
25 May, 2013 to 26 May, 2013:
Red Shield Appeal
02 June, 2013:
Green Heart Fair - Sunday 2 June 2013
06 July, 2013:
Community Garage Sale
About Toowong WardThe Toowong Ward comprises the suburbs of Toowong, Auchenflower, Milton and parts of Bardon, Brisbane, Kelvin Grove, Mt Coot-tha, Paddington, Red Hill and Taringa.
TOOWONG WARD SUBURBS
Prior to white settlement, the suburb of Auchenflower was characterised by its many hills and by several small creeks, running from the Taylor Range in the west into the Brisbane River. John Oxley landed at Auchenflower in 1824 in his search for drinking water. He described a chain of ponds watering a fine valley with good soil and timber.
Auchenflower has also been characterised by significant flooding over the low-lying areas, including the flooding of many homes and commercial properties.
Today the built environment dominates the natural environment. High-rise apartments, busy thoroughfares, and commercial buildings have replaced family homes.
The suburb of Bardon is hilly with views toward the surrounding suburbs and bushland. Ithaca Creek runs down from the Taylor Range and the nearby Mount Coot-tha Reserve to bisect the suburb. During the early days of white settlement reports indicated that even though Ithaca Creek ceased to flow in winter, some pools always remained.
Bardon remains a suburb bounded by the natural environment. Apart from retaining many areas of parkland, Bardon adjoins the largest area of bushland in the city in the form of Brisbane Forest Park.
The river and surrounding land were the principle factors in Commandant Miller's recommendations for the establishment of a penal settlement where, he believed, fresh water and good land suitable for agriculture were abundant.
The site of the settlement was largely above the level of the worst floods and formed a natural pocket that could be defended against Aborigines. The Brisbane River, which was so important for early transport, drained a natural basin about two hundred kilometres long and one hundred kilometres wide. At the time of settlement, mangroves extended upriver only as far as Hamilton. It is believed that the effects of dredging and the increased sunshine levels penetrating the river, resulting from tree removal, encouraged the spread of mangroves upstream
The suburb of Kelvin Grove was once noted for its wooded hills and flats. Timber getting was one of the first white occupations in the area, followed by mixed farming, once the timber had been cleared. Tanneries were established along Breakfast Creek and at that time the creek would have been used to dispose of the waste products resulting from the tanning process.
Breakfast Creek now forms a suburb boundary with Kelvin Grove. In the 1930s and 1940s the Brisbane City Council straightened, widened, deepened, and diverted the path of Breakfast Creek. This work was undertaken to try to lessen the effects of flooding on houses and businesses in the area.
Prior to white settlement the suburb of Milton was characterised by its many lightly wooded slopes and by several small creeks running from the Taylor Range in the west into the Brisbane River. By the late 1850s the area provided some rich pasture and farming land for the growing colony.
Milton has also been characterised by significant flooding over the low-lying areas, including the flooding of many homes and commercial properties.
Today the natural environment is dominated by the built environment. High-rise apartments, busy thoroughfares, and commercial buildings have replaced family homes.
Mt Coot-tha is located about 7 kilometres from the city of Brisbane. It embraces Mt Coot-tha Forest Park, a 3,500-hectare nature reserve which is part of the Brisbane Forest Park. From the lookout, located on the eastern slopes of the Taylor Range, the summit afford views to the D’Aguiler Mountain Range to the West, the city of Brisbane and Moreton Bay and its islands to the east.
Much of the area has been under protection for well over one hundred years but the natural environment has been degraded by quarrying, mining, timber removal and construction
The suburb of Paddington is hilly with views toward the surrounding suburbs. Prior to development the wooded slopes and ridges were home to the Turrbal Aborigines, known by whites as the Duke of York’s clan. Ithaca Creek runs down from the Taylor Range and Paddington originally developed around a series of water holes that ran from the Creek to the Brisbane River. During the early days of white settlement reports indicated that Ithaca Creek ceased to flow in winter but that some pools always remained.
In the early years of white settlement Paddington was known as “Ti-Tree Flats” and the first residents moved there in the 1850s to cultivate gardens on the flats and to cut timber.
Red Hill was thought to be too hilly for most early settlers to climb to take advantage of the view from the top. The steep hill, and the red rock of the area, combined to give the suburb its name. Before white settlement wooded slopes surrounded Red Hill.
Because of the steepness of the hill, access to the ridges was made via Prospect Terrace Kelvin Grove to miss the worst of the climb. To make access to the area feasible, the landscape was modified by cutting the level of the hill three times.
Taringa is a small suburb to the west of Brisbane’s GPO. In the early days of settlement the suburb was characterized by wattle scrub and hilly terrain which extended to the foothills of Mt Cootha. On his arrival in 1919, Sir Mathew Nathan, former Governor of Queensland, described the suburbs of Indooroopilly and Taringa as ‘a pretty district of hills and dells.?During the Triassic and Jurassic period the area which had been pushed up in earlier times remained as a high mountain range. This was subject to erosion which formed the pretty landscape described by Sir Nathan.
The Brisbane River to the east and Mount Coot-tha to the west dominate the environment of Toowong. Several smaller creeks flow through Toowong and into the river.
In 1823, John Oxley stopped near the position of the Regatta Hotel and described it as 'low, open, forest, good grass and iron-bark trees.' The following year, Alan Cunningham described the Toowong Reach as 'still preserving the even breadth of half a mile [805 metres], and bounded by dark, densely matted woods in which the new pine (hoop pine) was particularly conspicuous.' Lockyer's map from the following year shows the area as having 'pine trees'.
J. B. Fewings' memoirs describe his recollection of early Toowong as 'a dense and interminable wilderness of trees and inferior vegetation' with 'multitudes of beautiful tinted Blue mountain parrots gathering sweetness and sustenance from the stately eucalyptus.' In 1924, Toowong was still described as 'pleasantly wooded hills and vales'.
Almost all this area is now affected by white settlement, and the built environment has replaced the natural environment. Only the slopes of Mount Coot-tha have retained, to a small degree, something of their original state.